Posted on: Thursday, September 03, 2015
About being a member of the M-A Dance Team...
Participating in dance team offers many benefits. You will learn and enhance your dance skills, which will help you if you choose to dance while attending college and/or as a professional dancer in future years. There are health benefits resulting from the physical activity and you will gain self-confidence while participating in an activity that you are passionate about. Dance team gives you the opportunity to perform among and before your peers and promotes school spirit. It is fun and very exciting to be part of the M-A Dance Team!
The expectations of the M-A Dance Team members are to:
- Promote School Spirit.
- Represent M-A High School to the highest degree.
- Set an example of good behavior at all times, whether in uniform or not, in class, at games, attending other school functions and while performing.
- Promote friendships with students from schools with whom we compete, perform and attend dance camp.
- Promote friendship between the members of the squad.
What you need to know before you audition:
- Dance team is a year-round sport. You will not be able to participate in any other sports while on Dance Team.
- You must have and maintain a GPA of 2.0 to be an active participant of the team.
- JV dance team members practice: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday after school and Saturday afternoon. Varsity team members practice: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after school and Saturday afternoon. It is a big time commitment.
How to prepare for the audition:
- Familiarize yourself in Jazz technique. Jazz technique is a strength we look for in all our dancers. Display good dance habits, for example, pointed toes, straight knees, etc. Practice and improve your pirouettes and leaps.
- Know how to do Hip Hop. This is a key component to our dance team because we perform in both jazz and hip hop styles. This uniqueness makes our dance team stand out among others. Hip Hop technique is also a strength we look for in all our dancers.
- Tumbling skills are a plus. For example, round-offs, back handsprings, back tucks and/or aerials.
We perform at all football and basketball games, sports awards night, 8th grade information night, Big Bear Run, and any M-A event the administration invites us to perform at. We also put on an annual M-A Dance team show and fundraiser.